Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The North Pole is Melting; Again

Last Sunday the New York Times published Disaster at the Top of the World, an article about global warming by Thomas Homer-Dixon, professor of global systems, whatever that might mean. 

After an introduction that describes the disastrous impact of global warming on the Arctic, the article proceeds to describe the political ramifications and the need for Plan Z.  As usual using the term Plan Z gives the author an aura of scientific knowledge.  I read the article wondering how come so much ice has melted without flooding the coastlines on the planet. 

Here in Boca Raton, Florida, where last winter we were experiencing some of the coldest days in decades, the beach is in the same location it was when I walked the beautiful sands 25 years ago.  But I digress.

What I asked myself when I read the article was who is this expert on global warming?  Well, a quick googling and I found his resume.  The picture on the resume shows him without a tie which gave me an inkling as to his ideology.  But the resume was more enlightening.  He holds a BA in political science and a PhD in international relations.  This qualifies him as a climate expert.

Lets see when will the New York Times begin to publish articles about politics written by experts on meteorology?  I wont hold my breath waiting.